Over 30 years of activity
Horizontal Drilling International, commonly known as HDI is a construction company established in 1984, specialized in the installation of pipelines under natural or artificial obstacles using the so-called “trenchless” methods, and particularly Horizontal Directional Drilling (HDD).
Our reputation is built on our continuously evolving engineering and our ability to adapt to any kind of project. The skills of our teams and the reliability of our equipment allow us to redefine the limits for pipeline installation beneath natural or artificial obstacles whilst respecting the environment.
A continuous innovation
From its early age, HDI has never stopped innovating to meet increasingly complex technical challenges:
- First landfall using Horizontal Directional Drilling (Esso – Bass Strait, Australia – 1987)
- First High Voltage Electrical Lines by Horizontal Directional Drilling (EDF – Garonne et Seine Rivers, France – 1989)
- First Horizontal Directional Drilling through Rock (SNAM – Sicily, Italy and TPC – Niagara, USA – 1991)
- First DN 1200 (48’’) pipeline installed by Horizontal Directional Drilling (Gasunie – Canal Noord Holland, Netherlands – 1991)
- First Horizontal Directional Drilling through Permafrost (ARCO – Colville River, Alaska, USA – 1998 & 1999) for which HDI was nominated by the American Civil Engineering Association.
- First 100% upward Horizontal Directional Drilling (Gasocidente do Mato Grosso – Cachoeirinha Peak, Brazil – 2000)
- Setting a World Record for the largest volume – 1760 m x DN 1200 (48’’) – installed by Horizontal Directional Drilling (Reliance – Vashista Godavari River, India – 2007)
References in more than 40 countries
Over the years, a remarkable geographical expansion has been added to these initial technical achievements
Bangladesh (1985), Denmark and China (1986), Sweden (1987), India and Spain (1987), Great Britain and Netherlands (1988), Germany (1988), Venezuela and South Africa (1989), Belgium (1990), Brazil (1991), Portugal (1994), Russia (1996), Romania (1998), Tunisia (1999), Kazakhstan and Côte d’Ivoire (2001), Algeria (2003), Tanzania and Georgia (2004), Turkey (2007), Morocco (2010), Papua New Guinea (2012), etc.
certifications and professional affiliations
Certified according to the highest standards
Experience accumulated over the years has allowed HDI to refine its organization, working methods and procedures, in order to achieve the highest standards. Today, the company is certified ISO 9001 (2008), ISO 14001 (2008) and OHSAS 18001 (2007).
We are also a member of DCA-Europe (Drilling Contractors Association – Europe), FSTT (French Association for Trenchless Technologies) and IPLOCA International Pipeline & Offshore Contractors Association).