Our decarbonated solutions
Carbon-free energy storage helps support the growth of renewable energies in the energy mix. Geostock is contributing to this growth by offering underground storage possibilities for hydrogen and compressed air.
The underground storage of energy in the form of compressed air (CAES) or in the form of hydrogen is largely inspired by underground storage of gaseous hydrocarbons.
Compressed Air Storage Caverns – CAES
Massive Compressed Air Energy Storage (CAES) in salt caverns is an attractive and mature technology that can be a solution to electrical power grid issues such as the integration of intermittent energies and peak consumption period demand.
I-CAES in Salt caverns
- Green energy storage: zero CO2 emission (adiabatic CAES)
- Energy efficiency up to 70% (adiabatic CAES)
- Storage capacity up to 1 GWh and 300 MW
- Solution to integration of intermittent energies and power grid issues
- Site selection, investigation works and underground storage design for salt cavern and rock mined caverns,
- Drilling engineering services and construction supervision of the underground storage cavern,
- Specific CAES well completion (corrosion issues)
- Definition and optimization of fast operational cycles,
- Entire compressed air cavern Project Management, from design to commissioning.
Hydrogen Storage in Salt Caverns
Hydrogen production by water electrolysis is one answer to the challenge raised by the incorporation of renewable, intermittent power sources into the electricity mix.
Stored in caverns, Hydrogen becomes a zero CO2-emission fuel available for mobility and industry application, as well as electricity production when needed.
Geostock expertise in the design, construction and operation of salt cavern storage facilities led the company to propose Hydrogen storage solutions.
Hydrogen storage in salt caverns
- Green energy storage: Zero CO2 emission fuel
- Storage capacity from 10 GWh to several hundred GWh
- Combined uses (mobility, industry and electricity)
- Solution to integrate intermittent renewable energies into the power grid
- Site selection, investigation work and underground storage design
- Drilling engineering services and construction of the underground storage cavern
- Definition and optimisation of operational cycles, including thermodynamic simulation of the hydrogen cavern’s behaviour using Gustv2 software
- Specific Hydrogen completion
- Entire Hydrogen Storage Project Management, from design to construction to commissioning.